Protecting Your Rights in Accident Claims
The bottom line? Accidents wreck lives. At The McLeod Firm in St. Augustine, Florida, we help people put lives back together. That's our job and it's why we are so committed to providing our clients with the best possible representation we can in every case.
Protect your accident-related injury claims by following the advice outline below.
After an accident, do:
- Admit you're hurt and go to the hospital to get your injuries checked out and documented, even if you think it's just a mild but temporary case of whiplash.
- Notify your own insurance company that you were involved in an accident and just give them the basic information. That's all you're obligated to do.
- Take advantage of your right to consult with an attorney and to have an attorney advising you after an accident, even when making an accident claim on your own insurance policy.
- Get pictures taken of the accident scene and of your injuries.
- Obtain a copy of the official accident report from law enforcement.
What you don't want to do?
- Don't talk to any insurance company representative before you've spoken to an attorney. This is especially true about representatives from the other driver's insurer but is also true involving your own insurance.
- Don't minimize your injuries when you see a doctor and don't leave any information out. If it's a scrape on your knee, say so. If your neck doesn't feel quite right, say so. The doctor needs to know everything.
- Don't ignore your doctor's advice and treatment recommendations. If you don't, the insurance company may be able to get away with arguing that your compensation should be limited because you made your own injuries worse.
Contact Our St. Augustine, Florida, Car Accident Lawyers
If you or a family member has been injured in a motor vehicle accident along I-95, I-10, I-4, I-75, US1, A1A or on another Florida roadway, contact our law office in St. Augustine, Florida.
We provide a free initial consultation to determine if we are the right firm to handle your case. We handle auto accident claims on a contingency fee basis; that means you pay no attorney's fees until we recover money for you. Call us today by calling 904-471-5007.